8 May 2016

Easy Bake Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting!

The past 6 or so months have been such a whirlwind - with my last minute acceptance to university and of course the huge workload that comes with it. I wrote a post in October vowing to get back into blogging again but the truth is as I wrote a few draft posts I never uploaded them. I found the workload from university took over and now that it has calmed a little bit for a while I thought that this time I really would get back into something that I enjoy. I took the chance to do some baking this weekend and I decided to go ahead and post about it :)
Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting




Ingredients

For the cupcakes:
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
3 mdium free range eggs
125g self-raising flour
25g cocoa powder
For the frosting:
220g caster sugar
2 egg whites
80ml  water
Plus any decorations - I used mini marshmallows and colourful sprinkles

Alternative frosting = Marshmallow Fluff (essentially the same thing just pre-made)

Method

1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (Gas mark 4) and add cupcake cases to a 12 hole cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and the sugar until they are light and fluffy.
3. Next, add the 3 eggs one at a time ensuring each is mixed in well.
4. Slowly add  in the flour and cocoa powder ensuring that all of the ingredients are mixed well.
5. Spoon the mixture to the cupcake cases ensuring they are around 1/2 full and they are all equal.
6. Put the cupcakes into the oven for around 20 minutes or ensuring that a skewer comes out of the cake without mixture on it (if this happens then put the cupcakes back in the oven for around 5 minutes and then recheck).
Whilst the cupcakes are cooling it is time to go ahead and make the frosting.
1. Add the water and the sugar to a saucepan and put on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Do not stir.
2.Bring this mixture to the boil and leave to simmer for around 10-15 minutes (or if you like being exact using a sugar thermometer bring it to 116 degrees).
3. Bring the syrup off of the hob and leave the bubbles to go down. Whilst doing this whip the egg whites until they form stiff white peaks.
4. Now add the syrup mixture to the egg whites whilst still whisking. Continue whisking for around 10 minutes and the mixture becomes thick and cool.
5. Last but not least, either pipe or, as I did. smooth the icing onto the cupcakes and decorate with lots of fun things :)

I hope that you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I do :)
Lots of love Rach xox




No comments:

Post a Comment